An easy, fast, and tasty salad, I served this at my Introduction to Meditation Workshop last weekend!
I chose four simple vegetables – some sweet, some spicy, some tangy – and added in strawberries for freshness and sweetness. I was kind of going for a sweet/sour flavour profile, but you could use any kind of vegetables you’re in the mood for or have on hand to use up!
The dressing is very simple; I wanted it to enhance the flavour of each fruit and vegetable in the salad, not hide it. I didn’t even add any salt to the dressing!
- 1 bunch kale, thinly sliced (about 2 – 3 cups)
- 1 medium black radish, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups snap peas, halved
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
* Please note: All the ingredients I use are organic, which I don’t usually mention because when it comes to macrobiotic food its a given that you want to avoid the chemicals in most non-organic food. I want to stress that here because of the strawberries which, when non-organic, contain a myriad of carcinogenic chemicals. I would replace the strawberries with something else if organic strawberries aren’t available. *
Wash and scrub all fruits and vegetables before slicing. Layer in a large serving bowl.
In a small jar, combine lemon, olive oil, and maple syrup. Shake up to combine thoroughly before pouring over the salad. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
If you don’t plan on eating the entire bowl of salad in one sitting, I recommend only dressing the salad you are going to eat immediately. Leave the rest separate and keep aside dressing to pour over when you’re ready to eat it.